Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings

I had an odd thought in my head when I picked this song. I wanted to pick the most over the top and extravagant song I could muster. My mind was blank. Well, besides November Rain. However a very extravagant album popped into my head and this would be the most respectable song on the album.

Smashing Pumpkins is another one of those bands with major lead singer syndrome. As much as we enjoy the original lineup, Billy Corrigan would like us to believe he's the only one in the band that matters. Mellon Collie features more input from each band member and thus with so much material, a 28 track album was put out. The record is excessive. Songs with 70 layers of guitar do exist.

Bullet with Butterfly Wings sounds and plays like some of the grunge reaction bands, but this is before the major grunge players disbanded. Thus the song has a wicked hook and you know right from the beginning of the chant what song it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment